Road Traffic Accidents

Car Accident Injury Compensation Claims Are Not Just For Drivers

Many people assume that you can only claim car accident compensation if you are the driver of a vehicle in a road traffic accident. You may have suffered an injury as a passenger, pedestrian, cyclist or motor cyclist involved in a car accident. There are many instances when you may be able to claim for compensation in what are often tragic and life changing situations.


Road traffic accidents can be serious, traumatising and have long-lasting impact. By their nature, they are unexpected and you need a professional, sympathetic and experienced personal injury solicitor to help you and your family through what can be a very difficult period.


GO-Law Solicitors will ensure that you have the personal service and support that you need. We will offer you expert advice about your claim and will assist you with replacement vehicle, physiotherapy, rehabilitation and/or other medical support. We will ensure that we are here for you at all times and, in the event of a road traffic accident, we are available to speak with you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week… So call us.

We offer expert advice about how to manage your claim from replacement car hire to physiotherapy or other medical support. We can help you with all necessary care and support whilst also advising you on how much compensation you may receive.


Contact us for free initial advice and with our No Win, No Fee agreement, there is no financial risk to you if you are unsuccessful.

If you have suffered and injury, you may be able to claim car accident compensation if you are a:

  • Driver
  • Passenger
  • Pedestrian
  • Motor Cyclist
  • Cyclist

Car accident compensation

Can I make a claim following a car accident?

If you are the driver and someone else is responsible for the accident, you can make a claim if you have suffered an injury and/or any losses such as loss of earnings or out of pocket expenses. If you are a passenger, you will be able to bring a claim either against the driver (through his/her insurers) of your vehicle or the other driver of the other vehicle if they are responsible (often referred to as the third party).

How much compensation will I receive?

This depends on the type of injuries that you have suffered. We would need to obtain a medical report to value your claim. The standard amounts that can be claimed for specific injuries are set by the Judicial College Guidelines Studies Board (JSB). By way of example, a whiplash injury where the symptoms persisted for a few weeks could be worth £1,000. More serious injuries are worth a great deal more. such as neck injuries could be worth £ . We will be able to ascertain where you fit within the JSB scale.

What should I do if the other party’s insurers contact me with an offer before I have had an opportunity to seek legal advice?

Most insurers will contact the blameless party within hours following the
accident in order to try and assess any injuries and if appropriate, make an early offer to settle any personal injury claim. They cannot assess the value of your claim without a medical report and in the majority of cases these offers are much less than your claim is worth. Whilst this saves time and costs, it is often not possible to determine the extent of your injury without seeking medical advice. Our advice would be to seek medical assistance from your GP/Hospital and also then obtain legal advice about the likely value of your claim. Quite often, the value of your claim will depend on your recuperation recovery period which cannot be assessed without a medical prognosis report.

How long does it take to bring a claim?

All road traffic accident claims are now submitted through the Claims Portal and there are strict guidelines laid down as to the time that certain steps need to be undertaken in order to resolve a claim. Usually, it depends on the extent of the injuries that have been suffered as you may need to wait to see how long it takes for your injuries to resolve. In straightforward cases, the claim can be resolved within weeks.

Is there a time limit for bringing a claim?

You have three years from the date of the accident to bring a claim.

What happens if the driver at fault gives me false details as to his identity and cannot be traced or is uninsured?

You can bring a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) although they have limits on the amount that you would be entitled to recover.

What happens when my car needs to go in for repair and I have no car to drive?

You are entitled to claim for the cost of car hire during the period that you own car is being repaired together with any additional transport costs such as taxi/train/bus travel fares. We can arrange car hire for you during this period.

What happens when I need further medical help such as physiotherapy?

You are also entitled to make a claim for private medical costs. If you need physiotherapy, and do not wish to pay for it yourself pending the outcome of your claim, we will be able to arrange suitable treatment.

Can I bring a claim for loss of earnings if I have to take time of work due to my injuries?

Yes you can but always ensure that periods of absence from work are covered by a Doctors Sickness Certificate or at the very least, that you are seen by your GP and he has confirmed that your absence from work is necessary. Remember that if you are paid whilst off sick, under your contract of employment, you may have to include a claim for the amount you have been paid on behalf of your employer. We can advise you on this.

How much will it cost to bring a claim?

We will bring a claim on your behalf on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay anything to us unless your claim is successful.

Speak to a Qualified Solicitor today!


You will only speak to a qualified solicitor who will be able to give you a free consultation. All our claims are handled on a No Win No Fee basis, so get in touch, you really do have nothing to lose.